There are people who believe browser bookmarks are a thing of the past thanks to social bookmarking, online bookmarking, speed dialing, and so on. However, there are many who still use them every day. This could be due to being stuck in our ways, who knows.
If you are like us, though, you’ll find that native Firefox bookmarks are more than enough. Of course, like with other things in life, the longer they are used the more chaotic and cluttered it can get. If your bookmarks have become unorganized and are a mess, you’re not alone. Continue reading to learn some amazing tips and tolls that will assist in organizing that mess.
Managing your Firefox bookmarks
To start off let’s review the native Firefox bookmark system. Although it is not flashy, it balances out complexity and simplicity in a great way, even for those of us who are bookmarking constantly. It does help maintain order rather well. If bookmarks aren’t simply thrown in a giant pit, it shouldn’t be too hard.
- Go to the site you want to bookmark.
- Click on the star-shaped bookmark icon to the right of the address bar.
- Alternatively, press Ctrl+D, and the bookmark will be added.
- Now you can rename the bookmark and save it to a certain folder for organization.
- You’re done!
- Click on the bookmarks icon located next to the star-shaped icon.
- Locate the bookmark or folder you want to remove.
- Right-click and choose ‘Delete’.
Note: Realized you deleted the wrong bookmark? There’s a way to restore deleted bookmarks too.
- Click on the bookmarks icon and choose ‘Show all bookmarks’.
- As an alternative, you can use the shortcut Shift+Ctrl+B.
- You can navigate all of your bookmark folders and lists from here, remove them, rearrange them, change their names, and do anything else you choose.
- The ‘Import’ and ‘Backup’ menu can be used for exporting your bookmarks in HTML format. This can be used for backing up your bookmarks or importing them into a different computer.
Once Firefox 4 was released in 2011, Mozilla also released the new Sync feature. Firefox Sync allows users to store some or even all of the browser’s data, such as open tabs, bookmarks, history, and so on. This information is saved on a cloud that is synchronized with other Firefox installations. A sync code is required to sync different Firefox instances with each other, which helps protect your data.
Smart Bookmarks Bar
Firefox has an add-on called Smart Bookmarks Bar that provides users with a bit of control and flexibility over how the bookmarks are presented. Do you prefer the bar to be below or above the address bar? Smart Bookmarks Bar allows you to switch things up and make things more presentable and compact to your liking.
- Hide bookmark and folder names, showing only the icons.
- Align the bookmarks bar icons to the left, right, or, if you prefer, center them.
- Adjust bookmark spacing manually.
- Auto-hide the bookmarks bar to create more browsing space.
The Firefox add-on Bookmark Deduplicator is used for exactly what it sounds like. It automatically locates and removes duplicated bookmarks. Using it is simple: you click ‘Start’ and let it instantly clean up any copies.
As it is rather simplified, there are features that could be added. For instance, it would be convenient if it provided a list of all the detected duplicates and then allowed the users to choose which bookmarks to remove or not. Although having more control is always a plus, this is still a useful tool to have.
If you have ever wanted to manage your bookmark’s favicon, the Favicon Picker tool is what you need. It allows you to organize your bookmarks and make your favicons more presentable and elegant, not a bunch of ugly or even buggy favicons, if there are any at all.
As you right-click your bookmarks, you’re provided with options to change the favicon, reset it to the default favicon, remove or even export it. If you find the default favicons unpleasant, this is a great tool to install.
These tips will help those who enjoy using Firefox’s native bookmarks system over the alternatives such as Miitla or Listango. Use the above tips to streamline and make your daily bookmarking usage simpler.
Know of other Firefox add-ons that can be useful in organizing and using bookmarks? Share your knowledge in the comments below. We would be glad to learn about other helpful tools.