Develop ed by Mindspark Interactive Network, the browser hijacker MapsGalaxy is capable of changing your homepages to those of its own. Sometimes it is installed unknowingly through third-party applications hidden in a product bundle.
Unfortunately, once you have it installed, it will change your default search and homepages and add its own toolbar. Though these things only sound more of an annoyance rather than a threat, malicious behaviors are displayed acting as rootkit to slide into your operating system, interfering with user experience and hijacking your browser.
One solid way to avoid this happening to you is doing research online before installing any application, browser extension or toolbar included. Hit up Google, read the reviews, find any info on the app you can. And where you are given the choice of customized or advanced set up during the installation, choose to opt out of any bundled applications installation if possible. Usually you just need to uncheck a few boxes.
How to remove MapsGalaxy Toolbar
Step 1. Uninstall MapsGalaxy from your computer
- Open Start Menu, click your Control Panel, go to installed programs list, chose to Uninstall programs.
- Click MapsGalaxy Internet Explorer Toolbar.
- Right click and chose to Uninstall.
Step 2. Remove MapsGalaxy from Internet Explorer
- Launch the browser, click on the settings icon, сhoose Internet Options.
- Click the Advanced tab, then reset button. You will see a prompt window appear.
- Select the Delete Personal Settings box in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings section, then choose Reset.
- Once completed, restart your browser.
That’s all! Congrats, you just freed yourself from the malicious application and hardened your online security.